Classically Challenged

It has recently been preying on my mind that I am not very familiar with "the classics," especially the ones written by popular female writers.  You know -- the books that are categorized as the novels "Every Girl Should Read."  They seem to be popping up everywhere, in the most peculiar forms.  From Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to the movie I just rented, The Jane Austen Book Club (cute, in that chick-flick, straight to TBS sort of way), "the classics" are pervading my every thought lately when it comes to books.  I tried reading Sense and Sensibility and Wuthering Heights when I was in gradeschool, but couldn't wade my way through.  Now that almost a decade has passed since then, I've decided it's high time I get around to reading these beautiful works by their beautiful authors.  In high school, our substitute AP English teacher told us we'd never make it through college without reading Jane Eyre.  Well, I made it.  Or did I?  No wonder Wide Sargasso Sea never made any sense.

Anyway, that's what I'd like to find out.  Did I really make it, having skipped these so-called "life-changers"?

Next on my list of books to read: A Classic.

2 comments:

  1. I do love Jane Eyre. It's slow going for the first while but the ending is smash-bang awesome. I'd also recommend Pride and Prejudice -- it's an easier read and pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the two I really want to read the most!!! You read me like a book. Hardy har har!

    ReplyDelete